This came as a very pleasant – and hundred per cent complete – surprise. Out of the December blue.
My genuine thanks to C.B. Wentworth for the nomination and award, and to all other recipients to date. CB has a fine blog going at
http://cbwentworth.wordpress.com. It’s well worth a visit if not an extended stay and mooch around.
1) Paste the award picture into your blog.
2) Write up 11 NEW questions directed towards your nominees.
3) When you receive the award, you must post 11 random facts about yourself.
4) Pass the award onto 11 other blogs and let them know.
11 Random facts
1. I knocked myself out with an axe when felling a tree in our garden – to make space for a greenhouse!
2. Find the atmosphere at live music events invigorating.
3. I support a local football team: Walsall F.C. “the Saddlers“
4. I learned a lot about weaving simoultaneous story threads when I read the Tarzan novels as a teenager, and am re-reading the free electronic versions as I type this (though not at the same time obviously (!)
Did I imagine that there is a story where Tarzan shrinks to the size of an ant ??
5. Love science fiction – in all of it’s forms.
6. An avid devourer of comic books I am delighted by these characters becoming movie franchises. What next?
7. Slept for most of the ‘plane journey between Lima and Madrid, but thought I had only taken a short nap.
8. Never cease to be amazed by the kindness of people I meet when I am travelling.
9. Read several books at the same time – get inspiration from what I read.
10. Need to get the message across: “we are all teachers, children learn from us, if not the good things, then the bad!”
11. Love my family!
This is a seriously tricky one for me. I have been in the company of some marvellous people (and never met them, except one; indeed almost certainly wouldn’t recognise them if I sat on a bus next to them!) on my journeys and rebounds in the inspirational
blogosphere. My thanks and congratulations to all of my fellow wayfarers (come on, let’s keep going eh?).
But for many reasons I have gone with these:
All of these blogs are full of inspiring and creative posts. I look forward to visiting each day and I hope you enjoy them, too.
My Answers to the C.B Wentworth questions.
1) If you could have one superpower what would it be?
Some kind of spell casting that I could use on adults to get them to resolve problems like children of a certain age seem to do, without malice, rancour or recrimination. (Unfortunately, at some stage, children grow out of it!)
2) What is something you’ve always wanted to learn how to do? (What’s stopping you?)
Understand how to take photos on my digital camera using the manual controls rather than the automatic settings: I think this would result in better shots (but am not totally convinced). The thing that stops me is, ultimately – me procrastinating, convincing myself that I do not have the time – and, you’ve guessed it … I don’t have the time!
3) What is your favorite movie?
Great question, the answer to which, like any favourite I’m asked for changes with time. In this moment I would go for the recent re-make of Mighty Joe Young: I am a sucker for gorillas and that formulaic thing at the end of such films where you are not sure if it’s a happy or a sad ending. This is simply a fairy tale but I love the special effects and the morality behind it!
4) Mac or PC? Why?
PC – habit only.
5) If your home was one fire and you had time to grab one thing, what would it be?
Assuming all people were safe I would try to save my journals: they contain many years of dated material, poetry mainly that is a reflection of my life so far.
6) Who do you admire most? Why?
Also I have to add so many people and types of people, typically those who keep their integrity and credibility whether they be rock stars, firefighters, writers, sportsmen or explorers.
But another part of my answer is that I love storytellers, who can keep an audience spellbound by simply telling a story, with expression, tone, accent and effect!
7) What do you think you’ll be doing five years from now?
Hope I’ve managed to answer these questions for one thing – I will be thinking about them even after I have posted the answers.
I would like to think I will still be getting inspiration from the things that I do/that happen to me – and, perhaps taking better photos. Would be happy to think I was reasonably fit (perhaps still pretending to go to a gym. Would love to be still travelling, learning and passing on the message that it is OK to be open-minded until you have experience.
8) What is your idea of a perfect day?
Get up early in good weather, sunrise countryside walk (taking some photos), full English breakfast, listen to music (mixture of speeds and moods), visit to the library, coffee and people watching while reading a magazine, book or newspaper,
an afternoon visit to book a holiday tour of somewhere I have never been yet, look at the blogosphere, maybe add something, cheese and tomato sandwich tea and going to see my local football team win against superior opposition.
(A lot ofthis is extremely unlikely, but it is my idea of a perfect day after all.)
9) Coffee or tea?
Tea – simple supermarket off-the-shelf tea, milk and one sugar please – never too early or too late to put the kettle on.
And, er is it being greedy to hope for a chocolate biscuit so the drink is not too wet ?
10) If a magazine asked you to write an article about any topic, what would you write about?
I would love to have the chance to write something about how a concert in the tour schedule of a rock and roll band (or a circus, or a theatrical production) affects the life of a town during it’s transitory stay: traffic, security, the artists, the drivers, the promoters, box office, audience members … er, but would need to do some expenses-paid research.
11) What charity or organization means the most to you?
Phew! So many – of course. cancer charities are up at the top of the list, but am also passionate about wildlife, organic gardening and heritage conseration.
MY NEW QUESTIONS:
1.What keeps you awake at night?
2. Recommend a ghost story, suitable for a winter evening.
3. What has been your favourite moment of 2012?
4. What is your favourite quote and why?
5. What kind of doodler are you?
6. Your favourite all-time comic character?
7. Something you wish you had learned earlier.
8. The question you always wanted to answer – but, dammit – nobody ever asked ?
9. What musical instrument ahve you tried to learn toplay (how successful have you been – so far)?
10. At what time of day are you most active?
11. Which two fictional cahracters would invite to dinner (where would you go?)
– – –